We made shepherd’s pie in class, now make it at home!
Total Cost: $8.16 Cost per serving: $1.36
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 45 mins Total Time: 55 mins
What you’ll need:
- 1 lbs beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. pkg mixed vegetables
- 8 oz. button mushrooms
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400
- Mince the garlic and dice the onion. Sauté the onion and garlic with olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent (3-5 minutes).
- While the onions and garlic are cooking, slice the mushrooms. Once the onions are soft, add the beef until cooked through (3 minutes).
- Finally, add salt, thyme, smoked paprika, and freshly cracked pepper to the skillet. Add in mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms have fully softened (3-5 minutes). Add the tomato paste and flour to the skillet. Stir and cook the mushrooms with the flour and tomato paste until the mushrooms are coated and the pasty mixture begins to coat the bottom of the skillet (about 2 minutes).
- Add the broth to the skillet, stiring to dissolve the flour and tomato paste from the bottom of the skillet.
- Allow the broth to come up to a simmer, at which point it will become slightly thicker. Stir in the frozen vegetables and allow the mixture to heath through.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a casserole dish, or use your skillet if it is oven safe. Spread the mashed potatoes out over the surface of the vegetables and gravy.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie in the fully preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until everything is heated through. To achieve a browned surface on the mashed potatoes (optional), turn on the oven’s broiler (and place the pie under it, if not already), and watch closely until the top has browned to your liking.